Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lost Colony of Roanoke, 1587

We watched a portion of this video and the next stopping when the speculation on what happened to the colonists began. My boys were really thrilled with the concept of a historical mystery.

We talked about the theories. I found an idea on a message board (I didn’t save it to give credit unfortunately) to set up and video newscasts reporting on their favorite theory as if we knew what happened to the colonists of Roanoke!

We talked about how they had used archeology and written accounts to rule out many theories and determine the most likely outcome. There is a Magic Schoolbus Video and book on archeology that might fit nicely here though I didn't use it.

We did a simple mock archeological dig by digging for things buried in the old salt we used for our phonogram practice though dried coffee grounds would have been neater now that I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment