Saturday, October 9, 2010

St Augustine in 1565

We read American Pioneers and Patriots, Settlers from Spain to begin this lesson.

Make a ship using this model of the Santa Maria given this was a Spanish ship after all and probably similar in my mind. If I weren’t using the above book which focused on the journey I would have used this link in our Columbus lessons. If a person doesn't want to cheat with a Santa Maria boat there are tons of craft ideas for boats from this time period online.

Talk about the settlement and try out the (possible, I honestly didn’t research this heavily) construction methods using a modified plan based on the ideas in this link. The site is full of lesson plans for the St. Augustine and Florida exploration history. Most were too old for my kids but it’s a very nice resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment